Thursday, February 4, 2010

MMmmmm Soup!

I found this soup recipe in the Jan/Feb issue of Muscle and Fitness Hers, I decided to post this recipe after I commented on April's blog about rutabegas:
http://redhead75.wordpress.com/2010/02/03/whos-first/

Cuz , when I was shopping for the ingredients for the soup I needed turnip. I couldn't find turnip, but I saw rutabega, thought it WAS a turnip. You know the whole to-MAY-toe , to-MAH-toe thing.

Well guess they are not the same. Anyway, I tried the soup and love it!! I made a HUGE batch.

Now you need to know a few things. I did not follow the portions of the recipe exactly. I was supposed to be making a double batch of the soup, I threw in massive amounts of veggies. I had an entire bag of spinach and even tho the recipe called for a cup, I threw in the ENTIRE bag cuz I love spinach. Most of the other veggies too, I was thinking as I chopped it up, what the point in chopping up half of it, throw the whole thing in.

I made my chicken stock. I like boiling my chicken breasts. It is quick, easy, can't burn'em, and keeps'em moist. What's left in the pot . . chicken stock! Perfect!

Now, the soup. This was a chunky veggie soup, smells WONDERFUL! The magazine also suggests that you can puree the soup. Well, I knew that was gonna look disgusting, and it would make me hesitate to try it. So I ate one bowl in the original yummy chunky veggie form. But I like to know what I am getting in my food and my meals are balanced so I like the idea of pureed soup, everything mixed thoroughly and evenly :P

After you puree it is looks disgusting but tastes YUM! I then have this instant moisture mixture to pour over everything else Like my chicken and rice!! I cut up my 4oz of chicken or whatever, measure out my rice, grab a cup of the soup mix it all together and VOILA! Instant effortless FLAVOURFUL meal! :)

I foresee lots of this soup always being in my fridge, mmm liquid veggies :P

Veggie Soup
(Called Winter Detox Cocktail in the Jan/Feb issue of M&F Hers. Pg 23 )

Makes 4 servings

2T olive oil
3 cloves garlic
1/2C onion
1/2C turnip
1Lg carrot
2C chicken stock
1 Lg zucchini
1C fresh spinach
1/8 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp turmeric
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin

Chop / cube all veggies.

Heat olive oil in large sauce pan over med. heat. Add garlic and onion, and saute 5 min.

Add turnip and carrot and saute another 5 min.

Pour in chicken stock and simmer 10min.

Toss in zucchini simmer 5 more min

Add spinach and spices simmer 5-10 more min

This is what mine looked like after pureed and some chunks of chicken thrown in:



Hmmm . . guess I coulda been a bit more
Martha Stewart with the soup pic.
Don't let the yucky looking picture deter you, it really is yummy . . honest!

2 comments:

  1. It looks good to me! I bet it would be really good with some sweet cornbread. So much for the healthy aspect :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. lmao that pict is nasty but it does sound really good...this time of year I want lots of soup!

    ReplyDelete